Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Photographing Interior Walls During Construction

Having photographed interior walls is worth its weight in Gold
Recently it was 5:00pm, sun was going down and I'm flying over neighborhood speed bumps single focused trying to get to my destination before it's too late.  Emergency?, you bet.  I needed to get to this house prior to losing too much daylight to photograph the interior walls before insulation the next day.  The homeowner was there, wanted to chat and I had to put the mission first and not talk very much.  Luckily he was very understanding.

I place such a high value on this task because it can really help you out of a jamb later on during the construction process.  It's also great for record keeping in case you ever need to get behind walls.  This is an actual photograph of one wall section in a home I recently photographed.  I usually average about 30-50 pictures and I upload them to our clients project portal so they always have access as well.  When you build a wall, there are things like electrical, plumbing, HVAC lines, low volt and in this case a pest control system as well.  When you insulate and cover the walls with sheetrock, unless you have the best memory in the world there is a good chance you will be flying blind and cause unnecessary aggravation and expense digging and search for things.  I used to really take my time almost like a professional photographer, but over the years I've gotten it down to where this task takes about 10 minutes.

If you are in the middle of a construction project or have any walls exposed in your future, I highly recommend this simple step.  You'll be surprised how much you refer back to it.

Now let's go build something.

No comments: