Saturday, September 15, 2012

Using What Your Lot Gives You For an Incredible House

This rooftop garden captures the lot's greatest asset-the view
When my wife and I lived in Chicago for a few years, we owned a row house near down town that had a roof deck.  If you've ever been to Chicago, this is very common practice.  In fact, for Cubs games some of the best seats in the house are nearby buildings that have roof decks.  I have the privilege of sitting in many architectural meetings with clients and with this particular client I had pitched the concept of a roof deck to capture the incredible views. It seems like people are creatures of habit.  In San Antonio, we see a lot of balcony's, porches, view windows, etc....... but this is different.  I'm thinking tree house.  Something that perches you up high enough to give you a completely different perspective and experience that is easy to access and capitalizes on the incredible hill country views we have.  The happy ending to this story is I just delivered a trophy to the family the other day for winning "Best Specialty Room" at the Summit Awards which has stiff competition from all builders across San Antonio.  I was so happy for them and I know that it will provide them some incredible moments as they entertain and relax because nothing quite satisfies like God's canvas just outside your window.

No comments: