Saturday, November 17, 2007

What You Need

There's a few shows that I like to watch on TV every now and again. My son and I love to watch college football together and my wife and I like to pick a series and watch it like Lost, 24 or Heroes. I'm always scanning CNBC though, because I like to keep up with the nation's business news and watch interviews with CEO's of other companies. There is a show I watched the other day on CNBC called Your Business and this show is driven to help small businesses like ours by offering tips and advice. They were interviewing an up and comer in the fine ceramics business in New York and profiled this guy as he went through his story of starting with nothing and working his way up to having his ceramics displayed in the Museum of Metropolitan Art next to other world-renowned designers. So in a relatively short amount of time, this guy who operates out of a small warehouse is being mentioned and featured in one of the world's most renowned centers for art- truly amazing. They had a panel of consultants listening and watching his interview, and they asked them after the fact why each of them thought he had been such a success. They all had different points but the one that stood out to me the most was this; so many times in life we tell people what we do for a living, but this guy went around to everyone he knew and told them what he needed. There's a huge difference in my opinion. If you think about it, we are not specific enough with most people or maybe even feel a little uncomfortable reaching out to others to ask for their help. So next time you're out and about and find yourself in a conversation about your business, tell that person what you need- you never know who they might now that can help you.

No comments: